The Animal Science Technician will perform daily tasks that provide care to all species of laboratory animals in a regulatory environment. This position assists investigators with research study support where applicable and the Team Leader & veterinary staff as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- Provides quality animal care to animals.
- Provides food and water to the animals.
- Sanitize animal cages and rooms.
- Observes and records clinical observations on laboratory animals.
- Utilizes various types of equipment required to house and maintain animals.
- Assures completion of and records daily husbandry tasks, conducts and participates in procedures as required.
- Maintains records to comply with USDA regulations, applicable animal welfare guidelines and internal compliance regulations.
- Communicates with Veterinary staff and research investigators information on the health and well-being of research animals.
- May provide input to Veterinarian relating to animal welfare operations and care.
- Follows safety procedures.
- Maintains awareness of and follows existing and new regulations affecting animal research.
- Must complete all annual training requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to perform primary and extended responsibilities of the role with minimum supervision or oversight
- Must be able to regularly communicate with personnel within and outside the Facility.
- Must be able to regularly read, understand and follow-through on all correspondence.
- Must have general computer software skills
- Compliance and working knowledge of applicable animal welfare regulations and guidelines.
- Experience with clinical observations in rodents and/or non-rodents, a plus but not required
The overall background of experience and education should be sufficient to allow performance of the job requirements listed.
- Minimum High School Diploma
- Some experience and/or AALAS Certification, a plus